heath Advice

Confused? Ask away - the chances are someone knows the answer.

Moderator: Moderators

heath Advice

by Goudy09 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Dear all,
I am after some advice on how best to enter the French health systemwith a pre existing condition from the Uk.
Basically on 29th September I suffered a stroke whilst in the UK. I was hospitalised for 3 weeks but am now back home involved in rehab. My stroke was apparently 'mild' and I was lucky to have been treated as quickly as I was before too much more damage occurred.
in the days in hospital I realised that my relationship with France had changedbut am determined it will not be over.
the rehab is going well and I am confident I will make a full recovery.
I am still being treated as an outpatient with further appoinments in the next 6-8 weeks. This leads me to my question. I think it wise to register with a doctor on my next visit to France but short of getting my medical records translated and sent over how can I get precriptions for preventative medicines (if I run short) without a doctor being sighted on my condition.
I am sure I cant be the only Brit in this position and would welcome any advice. I recognise that my question is potentially inviting people to discuss on a forum their own private health issues so please pm me if you are uncomfortable with an open post.
Kind regards,
C hris (goudy09)
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: heath Advice

by Cathy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi Chris

I am so sorry to read of your recent health problems and wish you a speedy recovery.

I am a part-time resident and just make an appointment with the doctor in our village as and when either of us needs medical attention. She has no problem with the fact we are not officially registered at her surgery, we just hand over our €23 and she treats us like any other patient including dispensing prescription medication and offering follow-up appoinments if necessary. I am not sure if all doctors are equaly laid back, can anyone else help?

Site Admin
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Chateau Verdun and Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs

Re: heath Advice

by Myrtle&Martin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hi Goudy
Sorry to hear that you're having health problems, hope this helps.
Anyone coming to france on holiday should have an 'ehic' (european health insurance card) which gives access to french healthcare. I imagine your local health centre will have details on how to get one.

Whilst a visit to the doctor is only 23€ medication or hospital visits can be very expensive, when we first moved here I was paying 120€ a month for ulcer medication because I had not sorted out access to healthcare.

Most but not all UK available medication is also available in France and given the pharmaceutical name ('molecule' in french) doctors can usually supply the French equivalent.
I suggest you make an appointment the next time you are here to check whether you can get what you need rather than waiting till you've run out.

Dr Durand at Mirepoix speaks English as do some of the other doctors in the Mirepoix practice.
Incidentally Purpan hospital in Toulouse is a world leader in stroke recovery and brain surgery so if you have further problems while you are here that is where you need to go.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Myrtle & Martin
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: heath Advice

by Goudy09 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:59 pm

Many thanka for the reply.
I have my EHIC card all the time I am in France as well as private insurance. Not sure how much longertrhe \ehic will be valid for given bloody BREXTt -0 but that is another story.
I will register in Mirepoix next time I am there.
I am reassured that there is an English speaking doctor and that there are world leading facilities in Toulouse (although I have no intention of using them).
thanks again,
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Return to How / where / when / why do I ....?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest