St Girons arrivées

Confused? Ask away - the chances are someone knows the answer.

Moderator: Moderators

St Girons arrivées

by HeureuseAnglaise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Bonjour à tous!
My family are looking to move to St Girons, we are wondering if we can find work easily and start renting something furnished nearby?
We dont have savings, we just want a simple life like we have now; can you rent long term there and is it expat friendly?
My husband is a landscaper and im a holistic worker (freelance) though i would be happy to work in a local school as an English teaching assisstant if they would take a trainee on? I dont know if they do those things like we do in England.
Lastly are there any or many 2nd hand shops or carboots? Im awfully fond of them.
Many thanks for any light shed xx
HeureuseAnglaise

Re: St Girons arrivées

by Cathy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi, welcome to the Network!

I hope that others will comment on your questions, traffic here has been a bit slow of late, so come on, networkers, please post!

I am on the other side of the Ariege, so don't know St Girons well, but I would say that it is welcoming to outsiders. It has the best market in the area (on Saturday) and there are always English voices to be heard, as well as a lot of folk who look to be pursuing an alternative-type lifestyle.

But even if it seems welcoming, do not expect everything to be laid back. The French do everything by the book, you cannot escape their bureaucracy wherever you go. For example, I would very much doubt you could get paid work in a school without the right bit of paper, such a state job would be much sought-after. I'm not even sure about unpaid volunteering, does anyone else know?

I think it would be easier to get work as a landscape gardener, though starting a business from scratch without speaking the language might be daunting. You can look for work through the Pole Emploi (Job Centre), but again you are going to need a base level of French to do that. Note that unemployment benefit here is based on contributions, you can't claim it until you have worked a certain length of time (88 days, I think) and not left your job of your own accord.

Renting a house should be quite straightforward although landlords might want proof of employment/means to pay before agreeing to let.

I would suggest reading lots of "how to" articles about moving to France to give yourself a briefing on how the basic systems work here and take it from there.

Good luck!
Cathy
Site Admin

by Cathy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:34 pm

oooh, and you're in luck re car boots/ second hand places.

There are many car boots (called vide-greniers i.e. "empty your attics"), look for posters in towns and villages.

Second hand shops are called Brocantes, and Depot-Ventes are like second hand agencies selling stuff on commission. There is a huge one in St Jean du Falga called "Espace 09". In Pamiers there is also the massive Emmaus charity shop.
Cathy
Site Admin

by HeureuseAnglaise » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Wow, thankyou very much for your response! :D xxx
Im not solely looking at St Girons; Just somewhere where we might find steady work, not looking for luxury.
A few brits is even better, but not looking for tonnes :lol:
just so were not 'the only brit in the village' !
Would like a spiritual vibe and a forest on my doorstep :P
HeureuseAnglaise

by Myrtle&Martin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 pm

hello Heureuse
we've been here 14 years now, and endorse everything Cathy said about the formidable paperwork - it doesn't get any easier with experience, other than you get used to allowing for extra time and hassle for what would be much more straightforward in the UK and go to any meetings armed with a briefcase full of every bit of documentation you can think of (e.g. an EDF bill seems to be the key to all sorts of things seemingly completely unrelated ). Amongst the many British we have met here , we know of only 2 people who have got a job working in French education or even for a French company, most people are self-employed or work for other ex-pats, or work remotely for non- French companies . Local employers do seem to give priority to French workers, it may be more liberal in other areas, especially cities, but the Ariege, though we love it to bits, is way behind in a lot of things. I hope this does not put you off - we are surrounded by peace and beauty and life can be pretty good here, but there are challenges to be met.
wishing you lots of success with pursuing your dream
Myrtle
Particular care should be taken trying to register as a landscape Gardener, as the French divide this into two seperate jobs. soft landscaping comes under the 'chambre des agricultures' whereas hard landscaping comes under the 'chambre des metiers' if you register for both you will end up paying 95% of your income in 'cotisations' as both chambres take their cut.
The 'auto-entrepreneur' system was introduced a few years back to try to simplify things for the self employed but doesn't cover gardening as the chambre des agricultures didn't sign up for it.
Despite all the hassles with paperwork it is still a great place to live and well worth the effort.
good luck
Martin
Myrtle&Martin

Return to How / where / when / why do I ....?