Les Bains Douches, Pamiers

Where are your favourite restos in and around Ariège? What makes them good? Anything from which bar makes the best coffee to where you can get a great workers' lunch to where to go for a celebration dinner.

Moderator: Moderators

Les Bains Douches, Pamiers

by Myrtle&Martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm

This restaurant is opposite the Tourist Information Office and we were tempted to try it by its lovely sunny terrace next to the canal -a bit of traffic noise, but the sound of running water helped to make it more pleasant. The current owners took over in 2008 and I wish we'd found it before. The food is long way from the standard dishes on offer round here in both presentation and the freshness and subtlety of flavour combinations. For instance the starter plate of verrines had 5 different small dishes containing such things as red pepper sorbet on aubergine mousse with sesame seeds. It was all delicious, service was excellent and they were not panicked by my partner's list of food allergies but came back with several good choices. There are 3 menus de jour at 12.50 € for 2 courses, 17€ for 3 and 24€ for 4 courses and a small selection a la carte. You can find the full menu as well as the day's specials on their website www.restaurant-lesbainsdouches.fr and an added bonus is that you can walk off any over-indulgence in the pretty little park just behind Tourist Information.
Myrtle&Martin

Re: Les Bains Douches, Pamiers

by Margaret » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Well, thank you for that. Kalba and I went there today and had a 2 course meal sitting outside (November 3rd....). It was everything you promised it would be. The service was relaxed but efficient and friendly, with nobody hurrying us to leave after we'd finished. The verrines of this and that (pressed beef, a fish terrine, various interesting vegetable salads and mousses and best of all that red pepper sorbet) were unusual and appetising, and the main courses didn't disappoint. Shame we'd gone for the two course option. The pudding looked wonderfully pretty. We'll be back.
Margaret

by Myrtle&Martin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Glad to be of service mesdames. We didn't have your self control and tried the dessert - and light and lovely it was too.
Myrtle&Martin

by wordgardener » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:58 pm

We had a delightful meal at the Bains Douches last week. Yes,it lived up to all the reports. There is something good about Pamiers. Well, several things. Walking through the park and through streets of old buildings, some very grand, was also a pleasure. http://restaurant-lesbainsdouches.fr/
wordgardener

by wordgardener » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:44 pm

I thought you might like to know that we decided to see if Les Bains Douches was still as good (we went a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it). Yes, if anything it was better than I remembered it. Service, pleasant but unobtrusive, a lunchtime menu full of colour and flavour with a choice of sauces and accompaniments, and a relaxed atmosphere by the much-cleaner-than-I-remember-it "canal". Entertainment courtesy of the ducks. 2-courses now 13.90E, and worth every cent. Best to book, and closed Wednesdays, just to be different (and exceptionally over the next few days, beginning of September 2016, so don't dash off there just yet).
wordgardener

by CaroSam » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:05 am

Paid a visit here on Monday and oh my word exquisite. It was so beautifully presented too that i was so tempted to be one of those people who photograph their food and post it. I am actually regretting i didn't :-)
Fine dining at two courses for 13,90€. I had poisson rillettes for starter (which came with bit of salad, toast and mint ice cream!) and melt in your mouth durade for main. (They had three fish of the day options). Was too busy drooling over mind to remember exactly what hubby had but was hard core meat for both courses and he scraped off every morsel. We will be back.
CaroSam

Return to Restaurant reviews