Calling parents with babies and toddlers

Are you a member of a local group? Do you want to start one? Publicise it here. Want to make contact with others? What about organising a social event - a meet up in a bar, or an Ariège Network meal?

Moderator: Moderators

Calling parents with babies and toddlers

by Lulu2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 am

Hi send me a message if you are a interested in joining an English speaking parents, babies and toddlers group.
Looking forward to hearing from you... :)
Lulu2012

Re: Calling parents with babies and toddlers

by kalba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 am

Lulu2012, it would be helpful if you could say where you're based .....
kalba

by Lulu2012 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 am

sorry thats a very good point Kalba! We are in the Mirepoix area 09500 :)
Lulu2012

by Feebs » Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi Lulu,

I just messaged you, I'd be interested in such a group - got a toddler who'd love to hang out with more little people!

Fiona
Feebs

by catleyrichardsons » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi Lulu and Fiona,
Are there any established play groups at the moment that you know of?
Building the Jam Jar Dream
catleyrichardsons

by CaroSam » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi,
This is rather a late reply to your query but some insights which might help where things in my experience are v different to the UK.
Playgroups with parents in tow are more likely things local expats arrange informally. They will all come out the woodwork wherever you are living soon enough.
For organised stuff - I do know in Foix on a Friday there is a toy library which is basically a playgroup and mums can chat but I don't know of any others.

One reason for this is the abundance of stuff for kids 'sans' parents eg.

1. Creche/gardarie - for younger kids, unbelievably cheap and readily available. (Ie a few euros/day)
2. Maternelle (pre school) - free from age 3 (ours also has a toddler class) and wrap around care including specific activities eg. Music/sport outside of school hours, again cheap (ours is 21€ a term)
3. 'CLAE' Playgroups during school hols, offering various different activities such as painting, swimming etc for age 3-12.
4. Clubs, you will find loads of clubs for kids of all ages starting very young especially sports

The main difference I have found is the expectation from a young age that you leave the kids and go away. My son is not quite 4 and last summer the holiday Playgroup was held for a few weeks in the next village. I had a heart attack at the thought of him not knowing any french and getting on a bus back from playgroup. I only let him as the teacher was so disdainful when I said i would drive and get him. She was right, he loved it!

Hope this essay helps!
Caro.
CaroSam

Return to Get togethers, local groups and associations