French/English conversation group in St Girons

Are you a member of a local group? Do you want to start one? Publicise it here. Want to make contact with others? What about organising a social event - a meet up in a bar, or an Ariège Network meal?

Moderator: Moderators

French/English conversation group in St Girons

by kalba » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Following on from Cathy's post about a group like this in Tarascon - which already exists - a couple of us have expressed interest in something similar in St Girons. So I think it's worth investigating ...

First, if you know of anything that already exists, do post about it here.

Second, if you might be interested yourself, please do also post here.

Third, if you know anyone who might be interested, even if you're not, please do pass this on and post here.

Fourth, if nothing existing appears to exist, I'll get Caroline at Simply British in St Girons to put up a flyer to check out interest - plenty of French people use the shop, and they're likely to be Anglophile.

And then we'll see.
kalba

Re: French/English conversation group in St Girons

by Caroline » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Kalba

I think informal French/English meetings would work brilliantly in St Girons. I know loads of French people looking to improve their English and there are very few of us who wouldn't benefit from improving our French!
Caroline
Simply British, St Girons
Caroline

by kalba » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Well, speak of the devil! Hello, Caroline, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, that was my feeling too. I'll come in and we can have a chat about it.
kalba

by wordgardener » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 am

I'm back in Seix next Thursday (Bay of Biscay permitting), and would like to be in on this if poss.
Sue
wordgardener

by Caroline » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 pm

I have been asking around today, Brits and French and there are a lot of people who would love to meet up, informally to improve their language skills and also make new friends. The shop is open 10-6pm Wednesday - Saturday so if anyone wants to discuss this further, please pop in (you are not obliged to buy anything!) and we can see if we can get something organised.

Caroline
Caroline

by carlaboy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:49 pm

I think this is a great idea and would like to find the time to be involved. Although I live nearer St Girons; I am working the Tarascon side of Foix, so I figure I could visit both from time to time. If Tarascon is on a Thursday.; What day will be St Girons?

Peter.
carlaboy

by peta » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

I did join a small Conversation Group in St Girons some time ago-
we met in a lovely little cafe for and hour plus each week.
I left as I felt I thought I was holding the others back- ( I think they were silently grateful!)
I will pass this article on to those who were involved .

Even after almost 5 years here, my French is not good
( I can hear some groans!!!)

Anyway I have stopped worrying about it and just get on with it –. (to quote the book!)
I try my best and I am learning all the time – vocabulary not too bad … but phrases ? oops!

So I would indeed be interested in meeting other folk in the same position especially if there were other folk in my position – poor French great enthusiasm!
peta

by kalba » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 pm

This sounds very positive! :)

I know I haven't done anything about this or come in to talk to you Caroline, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested - just that I'm absolutely saturated work wise at the moment, getting ready to open in April and keeping on top of all my other work. So if those of you who've responded on here want to get on with it, please don't wait for me. I'll fit in and do my bit as and when.

Oh, and welcome back, Peter! Hope you had a wonderful time :mrgreen:
kalba

by peta » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:33 pm

someone called Sue- lives in Seix?
we do too do look us up
peta
la Londiniere
Rue Fons de Seix
peta

by wordgardener » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Hello Peta, c'est moi. Will look you up one of these fine days, or perhaps meet you at the conversation group if it gets off the ground. Sue
wordgardener

Next

Return to Get togethers, local groups and associations