Car rental return near St-Girons

Getting to, from and around Ariège; flights, transfers, trains, ferries, routes.

Moderator: Moderators

Car rental return near St-Girons

by oasselin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi,

We're buying a house near Castillon, in the Couserans, (signing on the 27th of May!!!) and I'm looking at transportation options. We live overseas, so basically the idea is to buy a car and leave it there to use it when we come, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best option to get from Toulouse airport all the way to our small mountain village.

I'm expecting we'll be coming in with lots of luggage soon and was hoping to rent a car at the airport, drive it down and return it as close as possible to Saint-Girons. I'm wondering if anyone knows what would be the nearest place to return a rental car from one of the main companies (Hertz, Europcar, etc) near St-Girons?

I've found this, but no mention of it on the Europcar website :
http://www.auto-selection.com/services/ ... e-4673.php

Does anyone know that place?

Is anyone else in the same situation? Having to get from the airport to a rural location not easily accessible by public transportation? How do you manage?

Thanks!

Olivier
oasselin

Re: Car rental return near St-Girons

by kalba » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Olivier

The place in your link is Autorama, which is an agent for Renault Rent - as far as I know the only rental place in St Girons. I've just had a quick look at their website and they do have a couple of agences in Toulouse - not at the airport, but assuming they offer one way rental one option might be a taxi to the nearest Renault Rent agence where you'd pick up a car and drive here. Site is http://www.renault-rent.com.

There's a Hertz agence in Foix (and in Pamiers, though that's not very useful); Europcar is also in Pamiers. Or going the other way, they're both in St Gaudens. Whichever, you've still got the problem of getting from there to home (though read on ...)

Or ... you could try one of the covoiturage sites. There's http://www.enroute09.org, which is the departmental site, http://www.covoiturage.fr, http://www.covoiturage.com ... and lots more on Google.

Or ... try putting out your arrival date here and see if by chance anyone else is going your way ...

Good luck!

Kalba
kalba

by Peter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi Olivier

We have a house 25 minutes out of St Girons and have had a similar problem to you in the past. I have used public transport to get from the airport to St Girons (shuttle, train and connecting SNCF bus) and it works better than it sounds, and then taxi from there. But if you really have lots more luggage than normally on a flight, and if the one-way hire doesn't work, you could do a day's hire, do a trip from and back to Toulouse, and then get public transport back without the luggage - unfortunately you'd have to do it at the beginning and end of your trip!

When we have a bit more time to spend out there (we don't keep a car there right now, so need to hire one for the duration anyway or drive down) we were planning to try and find somewhere to garage the car more conveniently than at our house, perhaps not too far from the airport in Toulouse, but have not researched it yet and suspect it may be prohibitively expensive!

Over time maybe you can join up with others not too far away and agree to pick each other up from time to time.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with a good solution!

Alison
Peter

by oasselin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks a lot to you both for the input.

I had thought about trying to find a place to store the car near the aiport in Toulouse as well, but it sounds like it would be way more expensive, and we have a relatively spacious, fenced courtyard so leaving the car at the house would just make more sense.

I guess for now we'll just have to rent a car!

Best,

Olivier
oasselin

by Tiffany » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi there,

We have a second home in Alos, near St-Girons and find ourselves in a similar situation. We are thinking of keeping a car at Carcassonne airport which has a free park. Anyone done this before?

Has anyone done a car share - we would consider this, and certainly offering lifts. We are driving down (from Edinburgh) next in early October. So if anyone has anything they want brought over let us know.

Tiffany
Tiffany

by Cathy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Tiffany wrote:Hi there,

We are thinking of keeping a car at Carcassonne airport which has a free park. Anyone done this before?

Tiffany

the main car park at Carcassonne airport is not free, but you can buy an annual pass for it for E560 per year.

do you know of free parking nearby?

if you buy something in the bar they validate your parking ticket for free exit, but I have never had the brass neck to try this if the car has been there for several days. has anyone???
Cathy
Site Admin

by arthur45 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:00 pm

There is effectively free parking on the rough ground just beyond the car hire car park (enter off the roundabout on the Montreal road). I see many UK and Irish plates there regularly, so it is clearly used in this way.

But be aware that this is in no sense secure, and I have seen signs of damage and in one case the wheels removed. I guess it depends to some extent on the condition of your own vehicle, whether you think it's worth the risk.

Then the parking accessed from there, marked for hire cars only and with (currently) no functionning barrier, is used in practice by all and sundry, and not necessarily for short pickup stays. But there would be different from the rough ground in the sense of "being in the wrong" and presumably you could be towed or clamped.

Good luck anyway, Arthur
arthur45

by oasselin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:00 pm

According to their website, the parking lot at the Lourdes-Tarbes airport is free, could be another option?
oasselin

Return to Travel, transport, getting around