Driving to France

Getting to, from and around Ariège; flights, transfers, trains, ferries, routes.

Moderator: Moderators

Driving to France

by Goudy09 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi all,
For the past number of summers I have driven to France, Calais to Mirepoix, for our holiday (and stay at our house). I have used the 'peages' and done it in under 24 hours with my wife sharing some of the driving.
Summer 2018 it is my intention to have a more sedate journey with at least 2 overnight stops. Having had health issues the last 15 months and wanting to bring my 2 dogs (subject to pet passport) I do not want long periods on the motorway and in the car.
I was thinking about coming down the eastern side (avoiding Paris). Can anyone suggest a decent driver/dog friendly route with some appropriate accommodation on the way.
I know it is a bit left field but would appreciate any thoughts, ideas.
Best wishes,
Goudy09
Goudy09

Re: Driving to France

by gal54 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi, We normally do one stop Mirepoix to Calais,with dog. We stop at a B & B near Argenton, south of Chatearoux, just off the autoroute. We tried the Paris route once - never again! Now we use Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux,Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, Limoges, Toulouse. The middle bit is two lane with lots of roundabouts. The last bit from our B&B is autoroute and takes 4 hours to Mirepoix. Hope this helps. Michael G.
gal54

Re: Driving to France

by npark » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:27 am

Hi
You don't say what time of day you normally travel.
I must be doing something different because I do Calais to the Ariege south of Toulouse in 8 1/2 hours ( with a refuelling stop around Limoges) and drive around Paris...And that is keeping to the 130 kph speed limit, mainly on cruise control.
I normally land in Calais by 4 am, past Paris by 7 am, and then it is an easy drive down. I am normally at my home or in my local bar by Lunchtime.
I have tried various routes including the Abbeville, Chartres but seem to always hit traffic works or some other hold up. Also I find I use 20% more fuel.
The key seems to be the time of day and day of the week.
npark

Return to Travel, transport, getting around